The universe of Starfield is vast, immersive, and breathtakingly beautiful.
However, for many PC gamers, the key to fully enjoying such expansive titles lies in tweaking certain settings, one of which is the Field of View (FOV).
A wider FOV can often make a game more enjoyable for those who want to see more of the environment at once or for players looking to combat motion sickness.
While Starfield doesn’t offer a direct FOV setting within its in-game menu for PC players (and console players currently don’t have the option at all), there’s a workaround that allows you to change it.
This article will guide you through the process of how to change Starfield’s FOV on PC.
How To Change FOV In Starfield
Before we proceed, a word of caution: Editing game files can sometimes cause unforeseen issues or even corrupt your game.
Always make sure you back up your files before making any changes.
Furthermore, adjusting the FOV might affect game performance or introduce graphical glitches, so always test the game after making such modifications.
Now the cautions are out of the way, here is what you need to do.
- Locate the Starfield Folder:
- This is usually defaulted to ‘Documents’ folder on your PC.
- Navigate to the ‘Games’ directory.
- Look for the folder named ‘MyGame’ (or the directory where your Starfield game data is stored).
- Inside, you’ll find a folder labeled ‘Starfield’. This is where we’ll be working.
- Creating the Custom INI File:
- In the ‘Starfield’ directory, right-click and choose ‘New’ > ‘Text Document’.
- Open this newly created text document and paste the following lines:
[Camera] fFPWorldFOV=100.0000 fTPWorldFOV=100.0000
- These lines determine the FOV of the game. The default given here is ‘100’, but you can adjust this number to your preference. A higher number means a wider FOV, while a lower number narrows it.
- Saving the INI File:
- Go to ‘File’ and select ‘Save As’.
- Name the file “StarfieldCustom.ini” (make sure it’s saved as an .ini file, not a .txt).
- Save it in the same ‘Starfield’ directory.
After saving the custom INI file, launch Starfield and enjoy your new FOV settings.
Always remember to adjust the FOV incrementally and check the in-game environment to ensure no graphical issues arise.